Friday, September 11, 2015

14 years later; thoughts on 9/11.

Ask anyone who was alive and old enough to understand when JFK was assassinated where they were, what they were doing and how they felt and they will be able to remember as if it were yesterday. September 11th is the modern version; everyone has a story of where they were when they found out regardless if they lived anywhere near the tragedies or lost loved ones. It's understandable, the allegiance we pledged for 12+ years of school were never more true, "one nation" we were. I hesitate to even pen my thoughts on how the tragic events that day have changed the world for fear my causing more pain for those who are still broken with loss. However, I feel compelled to express my own feelings of pain for the many souls we as a nation have terrified in the 14 years since the tragedies.

Terrorism was the word most often used to describe the motivation behind the hijacked planes, the massive undertaking that led up to 9/11/01. We were targeted for our wealth, world power and presence in the middle east. Innocent and brave people were lost in a battle they hadn't signed up for, on our own soil. We all agreed war like retaliation was necessary as well as more intensive monitoring of communications via telephone, email or otherwise. Most agreed willingly to sacrifice their own freedom with the mantra "if you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear." Yet in reality, what that sacrifice has brought is unrestricted spending and a "big brother" so powerful he answers to no one. So now US military presence touches almost every nation, and millions of people are fearful for their lives, of the drones and frightening men with guns in their back yards. We are creating nations full of people who view us as the terrorists. They can't understand why the aid we provide has to come with the strings attached of soldiers on the ground. Could you? Imagine for a moment how it would feel to have a foreign presence at your Saturday farmers market, at the movie theater or at church. Even if you could accept they were here to help it would still feel frightening, no?

Fear is a by product of the help we offer and fear is synonymous with terror. So many nations have expressed their desire to be rid of our presence and these voices are being silenced. The articles have been written but labeled un American and buried under a sea of Patriotism. I can understand why, I find it hard to be a proud American after reading the countless tales of woe from overseas. Don't get me wrong, I am glad to live here. I am grateful for the freedoms being American affords me but understanding the cost makes me deeply heartsick.

My last point of contention on America, post 9/11 is the lack of empathy we show our own people. The fact that 16% of Americans live below the poverty line and we spend far more money keeping terror at bay, than our own citizens is mind boggling. How can we truly believe that we are acting out of generosity when we refuse to help our own people stand on their own feet, feed their children or properly educate the future of this country? "In 2011, child poverty reached record high levels, with 16.7 million children living in food insecure households, about 35% more than 2007 levels.[18] A 2013 UNICEF report ranked the U.S. as having the second highest relative child poverty rates in the developed world.[19]" (Wikipedia) That is absurd! Read it again, and ask yourself if we can continue to let the numbers grow, as they have since the early 90's.

I can't help but fear that even writing these words and distributing them might put a target on my back. I read the news, watch documentaries, I know that being American doesn't protect me from being legally detained and questioned to the point of torture. I am afraid, but my voice is my power and I will use it, despite my fears. I urge you to seek the truth on this day of remembrance, to form your own opinions based on facts and speak your truth even when you feel it may not be heard. I remember how I felt on that tragic day as if it were yesterday. As such, I mean not to belittle the horror we went through, rather to keep my eyes open to what choices I must make to invest in the future of this bright country in honor of those who lost their lives that day, and the loved ones they left behind. Remember the words you said every day for your formative years and ask yourself if you believe them to be true and if the answer is no, what you can do to change that.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America and to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

No comments:

Post a Comment